Tungsten vs Titanium
• Pricepoint: Both titanium and tungsten rings are a lower price point than precious metals. The aversage gold ring will start at $200 while titanium and tungsten have a price point starting below $100. However pricing will always depend on quality, warranty, manufacturing and style.
• Durability: Tungsten and Titanium rings are just as durable as precious metals, if not more durable. Both metals are very hard. Tungsten falls at a 9 on the Moh’s hardness scale. This is just below a diamond in terms of hardness. Titanium falls at a 6. Both are much harder than precious metals. Also most metals have excellent scratch resistance. Although Tungsten does beat out titanium in this category.
• Weight: Tungsten and Titanium greatly differ in this category. Tungsten is a heavier metal beating out all competitors. Titanium, on the other hand, is much lighter weight metal in comparison. Choosing between the two all depends on individual comfort level.
• Color: Both tungsten and titanium are similar in color. Both metals are darker in appearance, more of a grey color. Precious metals typical have a more vibrant color ranging from yellow to white. Many customer seek out alternative metals due to appearance of being slightly darker.
• Removal: Both metals can be removed in an emergency situation. Titanium can be cut through using a jewelry saw while tungsten is cracked off by using vice grip pliers.
• Sizing: A common question is about sizing alternative metals. Both tungsten and titanium cannot be resized under any condition. If a new size is needed the ring must be exchange or repurchased in the correct size. Many companies offer competitive exchange policies or discounts toward a new ring purchase. This option usually ends up being less expensive than resizing.
• Ring Engraving: As mentioned previously both titanium and tungsten are harder metals over both gold and platinum. However titanium being a 6 in hardness can still be engraved using traditional engraving machines. Tungsten, on the other hand, can only be engraved using laser engravers. Laser engraving is smooth to the touch and completely permanent. The outcome is just as beautiful (if not more beautiful) than traditional engraving.
Last Updated: April 24, 2021